Friday, October 20, 2006

Here is the text of a speech that I gave to the Southwest Region MSTA last week:

At this year's Convention, I will share with you about the journey that MSTA has been on over the past 150 years. I will relate our journey to that of Lewis and Clark, and share the answers to three very important questions about our future: Where are we going? How will we get there? And who will take us there?

The challenges we will face in the next few years are not easy. There is no black and white when it comes to public education. Because we've never faced these challenges before, there's no clear path for us to take in tackling them. Let's look at some of them:

• Differentiated salaries: Earlier this month, I started a conversation on the online forum to discuss this issue. I played devil's advocate and posed some strong arguments held by proponents of differentiated salaries. Without direction from MSTA, this may become a reality in the future.

• Accountability from the state board: The state board is a political machine. It's hard to get those in control to change its structure. MSTA has a dream to add three practicing educators and impose term limits. I have the resolve to see us accomplish that dream.

• School choice: Here's another topic that I brought up on the online forum. Doesn't it seem like this topic is never going away? We must address the underlying causes that lead people to push for vouchers. When we fight against school choice for students in failing districts, are we doing a disservice to them? It's time we stop pushing so hard against vouchers and start helping to find solutions to the root of the problem without diverting public money to private institutions.

• Funding: We got our formula passed – now it's time to make sure it works. When it doesn't – when it is no longer providing an adequate and equitable education to our students – we must address necessary changes – we can't wait ten years – we must continually evaluate it.

• Teacher Preparation: We must take a stand and demand that teacher preparation courses provide real-life experiences to their students long before they enter a classroom to complete their student teaching. Prospective teachers also deserve instructors who have recent classroom experience – not retired administrators who haven't been in a classroom in twenty years.

These are just a few issues we will face – I'll share more in November when I give you a map of where I plan to go over the next four years.

On the journey that MSTA is taking, you have two choices for your leader. Why should you choose me?

• Our Association is ready for new leadership – 21st century ideas to tackle 21st century problems. It's time we start looking to the future generation to provide that leadership. I am the candidate who will provide that leadership.

• The problems MSTA faces demand specific goals and strategic plans. When we meet again next month, I will share with you some very specific accomplishments that I plan for MSTA to celebrate in the near future. I will share with you my strategic plans for where this journey will take us. I am not content to give lip service to the issues we face – I am the candidate with the plan.

• The MSTA Executive Board is the governing body of the Association. The officers direct the business of the Board. Our Board and Association deserve a Vice President who has served as a Board member before running for office. I am the candidate with that experience.

I have been told that, in the 150-year history of MSTA, no one has ever won an election as a write-in candidate. It's time for a change. Next month, you will have a chance to make history. If you want a Vice President who is an experienced board member, with 21st century ideas to tackle the challenges ahead, write in JOE as your choice of MSTA Vice President!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment