Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jerry Falwell

I don’t know why I am so drawn to controversial people. I try to avoid being personally involved in controversy at any cost, but for some reason, I admire those who tend to run their mouths a little too much and get things stirred up more than they should. One such person on my top-ten list is Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Shortly after the story broke in 1999 that Rev. Falwell accused Tinky Winky of being gay, I had the opportunity to hear him speak at Bailey Smith’s Real Evangelism Conference at Arnold FBC. He talked about ten signs that would point to the end of the world. I know . . . very encouraging message, right? I wrote them all down and carried them in my Bible for the next few years, and I think the list is even still tucked away in that Bible, on a shelf somewhere.

A man of vision and passion, Rev. Falwell always had an opinion about everything. (Maybe that’s why I admired him so much. I tend to have an opinion about everything, too . . . I just try to keep it to myself.) The founder of Thomas Road Baptist Church and Liberty University, he worked hard to champion the causes for which he lived. I don’t agree with his staunch opposition to public schools, but I do understand the reasons and passion behind his stance. I also appreciate the work he has done in the political arena. Some have credited him with the election of Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and George W. Bush.

On Tuesday, conservatives lost a dear friend and strong ally. Through all of the turmoil and controversy, Jerry Falwell was a faithful follower who carried out his mission on earth in the way he believed God wanted him to. I may never be on all the cable news shows for ticking off as many people as he did. I may never establish a church, university, or grassroots political organization. I do hope that when my life ends, someone will be able to look at what I have done and say that I fulfilled God’s purpose in my lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment