Sunday, July 01, 2007

Day Nine - Go Carts & Waterfalls

With the hours quickly ticking away and the to-do lists still looming overhead, we decided to tackle at least one together, so we headed out to find some amusement attractions and waterfalls. Between the heat and humidity, it wasn't the best day for outdoor fun, but it was our last chance for it.

Kids Country and The Track are just right across Parkway from the road to our cabin. We decided to start there to let the kids have a little fun . . . both the young kids and the old ones. We looked around and figured out we'd need to buy tickets for the rides - just like at the Azalea Festival. We assumed tickets would be a dollar or less . . . thinking a dollar would be a little expensive, but we were willing to pay it. Imagine my shock when I saw that ONE ticket cost $2.69! The kid rides took one ticket, and the go carts took 3. It didn't take long to realize this was going to be some expensive entertainment, and that the aquarium really was a great deal!

A six-pack of tickets provided a small discount, but the 11.5% tax quickly took care of that. Apparently there's a 2% amusement tax added to the already-high 9.5% state and local sales taxes. No matter where we turn, it seems like someone's always eager to take our money!

The girls enjoyed a few of the smaller rides. Ella rode the swings all by herself, and I rode the carousel and train with her. Then James, Julianna and I rode the Wild Woody - go carts that climb and descend a three-story spiral, loop around outside on a concrete portion of track, and then climb and descend the spiral again. I was second out of the starting lane, and quickly started battling for first. The boys directly in front of and behind me were apparently together, and once the one behind me would pass, he would try to pass the other, but never could make it. Then I'd pass him, but I never could get around the first one, either. Finally, while they were fighting for first place, I made it around both of them and quickly passed a couple more cars, including James and Julianna. Because I made it that far, I ended up getting an extra lap!
We finally made it to the Old Mill for lunch. Their turkey and dressing is awesome, and their lunch prices are just as irresistible. After lunch, Jessica, Ella and I spent some time shopping at some of the stores - the Old Mill General Store, the Toy Bin, the candy store - while James, Jennifer and the girls went back to the cabin for a nap.

Sometime in the afternoon, we all headed out to explore some waterfalls . . . separately. James and Jennifer had already been to Laurel Falls, and I wanted to go there. So they headed out with their book to find some roadside falls, and Jessica and I stopped at the visitor center to try to find a waterfall map or book. I bought a two-book/two-map pack that seems to have everything you could want to know about what's available in the park. I told Jessica that she could choose where we'd go, and she had the trip through Gatlinburg to decide. By the time we were half-way through town, she had found Cascade Falls, which was supposed to be just a short walk from Sugarlands visitor center. We decided that would be a good place to start.

When we pulled into the parking lot, we saw the Equinox - apparently we'd chosen the same falls! Near the end of our "short" (it turned out a little longer than we'd expected) walk to the falls, I could hear Julianna talking. Once we had pictures taken and were ready to head back, we decided to travel together and look for some easy-access roadside falls . . . especially since dusk was quickly approaching.

The next couple of hours provided a couple of great opportunities to see some small falls in a short amount of time, and the journey took us just a few miles from a return visit to Cades Cove. We exited the park at Townsend - fifteen miles from Pigeon Forge. If you ever need it . . . there's a gas station about two miles from Little River Road as you're heading to Cades Cove, where the road splits and heads to Townsend. It was a very welcome sight since I had no idea where I'd be able to fill up and my light was about to come on.

Another late night . . . we had pizza when we got back to the cabin - sometime around ten. Jessica and I worked on packing as much as we could, and I spent some time in the hot tub before finally going to bed sometime after midnight.

Ella & Mommy at Kids Country

Ella liked the swings.

Ella's riding "Mr. America" on the carousel.

Daddy & Ella on the train

After three years, I finally got to ride the go carts!

The sun shinging through the trees near Sugarlands

Cataract Falls

This has a name . . . but I don't know what it is.

Same here - a roadside waterfall.

The moon over the mountains . . . my view from the hot tub Friday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment