Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Capitol Visit Like No Other

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow will slow our state's government . . . or keep MSTA from lobbying for public education!

The morning of February 13, I awoke to find a half-inch of ice and six or seven inches of snow covering my car. I had seen the weather reports, and I knew what to expect, but I had ignored all the warnings and traveled to Jefferson City the night before. Faced with the choice to skip the Capitol visit or dig out of the snow, I decided to brave the elements and go for it.

With no ice scraper and no gloves, I found myself shoveling snow off my windshield with an MSTA calendar (you know, the ones that say, "compliments of the Southeast Region"). Fortunately, the car warmed up fast enough that the ice began to melt and I could just wipe it off.

As I drove around the hotel to find the entrance to Bingham's so I could take advantage of the complimentary breakfast, I slid a few times and almost didn't make it up the hill. But with some patience and steady maneuvering, I managed to slide into an area that I could use as a make-shift parking space and trudge my way into the restaurant.

Because street crews hadn't had time to clear any side roads, and with cars piling up all around the area, a Jefferson City policeman suggested that I not use the access road in front of the hotel to get to the highway, but instead take the road behind the hotel to Southwest and then to Missouri Blvd. He probably saved me a huge repair bill, because I really don't think I could have made it up either hill going the other way.

As I walked through the Truman building and up the hill toward the Capitol, I was impressed with the efficiency of our state's government workers and the city's public servants. They were doing a great job clearing walks, taking safety precautions, and going on with their daily routines. In the Capitol, besides the decreased number of visitors, it was again business as usual.

I hate the word "props" . . . I guess because I try to avoid popular buzzwords . . . but I've got to give props to the Cape CTA representatives. This group of five dedicated teachers (including one first-year teacher and an assistant principal) also braved the elements to participate. All other groups (the smart ones) stayed home.

After our meeting with Mike Wood, Director of Governmental Relations, we were on our way to visit with legislators. I tagged along with the Cape group to visit Scott Lipke and try to see Jason Crowell, who was out for most of the day. After that, the Cape group decided to head for home, and Sheryl and I headed toward Rod Jetton's office to meet up with Renee to go to the top of the Capitol.

If you've never been to the top of the Missouri Capitol, you're missing an awesome experience. Seeing the structure and realizing what it must have taken to build such a magnificent building in the early 1900s is quite the experience. Walking around the whispering gallery and climbing the spiral staircase to the top of the dome provide indescribable views. Even after making the climb ten or more times, I was still excited to go once more - this time to experience it with snow.

We met Audie for lunch at Madison's . . . and had quite a few laughs. It seemed like there were mirrors all over the place :-).

The drive home was less than enjoyable, and I was never so glad to walk in, take off my coat, and change into comfortable clothes. Now I understand why they always say, "if you don't have to go anywhere, stay home," and next time, I just might head their advice. But I know that God doesn't waste an experience, and this one was definitely one that He had in store for us.

When we have snow days and get to stay in our warm, safe houses, there are plenty of people out there taking risks to get to work and keep our government running. From the Jefferson City policeman who wouldn't need to be directing traffic if I would just listen and not go anywhere . . . to the MODOT workers plowing the roads . . . to the legislators and their staff who were there for the 10:00 bell, they're dedicated to keeping Missouri moving. And the MSTA staff and volunteer leaders who brave the elements for a Capitol visit in the middle of a blizzard are devoted to seeing our legislative priorities accomplished, come rain, sleet, or snow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment