Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day

My wife and I have known each other for four Valentine's Days, and so far, we had not spent the evening together. Until this year.

When we looked at the calendar last month and realized that I would have class on February 14, my wife was not exactly thrilled. She reminded me that the first year we were together, I had gone to a wedding; the second year, I was in Jefferson City while she had her wisdom teeth removed; and last year, I had an Academic Team meet at North County and was late getting home. She just wanted one Valentine's Day that I could devote to her.

A couple of weeks ago, Dr. Kiehne offered an assignment in lieu of class on Valentine's Day. I was very thankful for the offer, and surveyed the rest of the class to see if they were also interested. They all accepted, and we got the night off. As part of the agreement, Dr. Kiehne also told me that I would have to bring proof of what I did for my wife (a receipt from a restaurant or pictures of dinner), so in the spirit of overdoing things, I will also write a summary of the day.

It started with a phone call at 9:30 Tuesday night. I was almost asleep, and definitely not expecting the day off, but on the other end of the phone, my snow tree caller told me that we'd have one more day to enjoy. That was just what I needed to prepare a memorable evening. As I snuggled back into bed, I started scheming about the next day.

I've said before that Jessica traded vehicles and is now driving my van. Even though she wasn't taking Ella with her, she was going to take it anyway so she wouldn't have to stop for gas in the Equinox. I heard an awful sound of squealing tires and a revving engine, and I looked out to see her backing off the carport, but the back tires weren't spinning. I opened the window to yell at her, and she said that the brakes were frozen from driving through the babysitter's creek. Afraid she was going to damage my van, I told her to stop trying to free the brakes and just take the Equinox. That's when her bad day started.

Later in the morning, I sat down to check our bank balance and realized that we were $124 overdrawn. I keep a constant eye on our finances, and I know where every dollar goes. There was no way we could be overdrawn! As I checked the details, I noticed that on Sunday, Jessica had used our debit card, thinking she was using the credit card (which is the same color) to pay for my new suit and shoes at Value City. That charge had caused the next four to overdraw, resulting in $80 worth of service charges. So I emailed her to let her know what she had done. And her day got worse.

As mad as I was, I didn't want my wife to have an awful Valentine's Day, so I went to work trying to make things better. I emailed the bank and got the $80 refunded, moved some payments around and lowered the van payment for this month, and brought our balance back into the black. Then I looked up the recipe for Pasta House salad (Jessica's favorite) and started the laundry.

Laundry is one of those monsters that we still haven't conquered. It's an ongoing, vicious pile that seems to always grow, no matter how many loads we wash. My first goal for the day was to fold all of the clean clothes, sort the dirty ones, and get a system started to tackle the entire pile by 4:00. Goal two was to clean the rest of the house as I was doing the laundry. And I was going to achieve these goals while watching Ella.

I do have to say that Ella was the perfect baby yesterday. She watched Dora, played in her bouncy seat, and napped without fussing at all. There is no way I would have been able to get everything done had she been worse.

By noon, I was on my way to accomplishing goal one, and my first load of dirty dishes was in the dishwasher. Ella started her nap around 12:30, and by 1:30, I was ready to go to Wal-Mart. Inconvenient timing, but necessary. So I woke her up and strapped her in, hoping she would sleep on the way there. I knew that nothing I was doing would matter if she didn't get her nap in and messed up the evening.

At Wal-Mart, Ella was wide awake, laughing, looking, and trying to talk to anyone (or thing) that would listen. And since I was in a hurry, I had to see people I hadn't talked to in a while and high school students who wanted to see my baby . . . so my half-hour trip turned into a full hour trip. I even realized that I didn't have my list of ingredients for the salad, and Ella couldn't remember what they were, so I had to buy them from memory. And I got everything right - 100%! We bought roses and cards (it was easier when I only had to pick out one, but now I had to get a wife card and a daughter card and a mommy card . . . ), and I even let Ella pick out her present. (She got a puppy dog with a picture frame.)

We got home at 2:30 and it was crunch time. I threw Ella back in bed, started setting the table, and realized that I hadn't set out our wedding cake top. Since we couldn't drag it to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon, we had decided we'd eat it for Valentine's Day. I knew it was frozen and would need time to thaw, but I wasn't sure if a few hours would be enough. I got it out, anyway, and arranged the cake topper and flowers to resemble what it looked like on our wedding day.

I started the chicken and potatoes dish that I fixed on our first date, and because I've learned that chicken and potatoes is not a mean in itself, I started fixing the salad . . . three loads of laundry to go, and the house almost finished. It wasn't all going to get done, but at least it would look like I tried!

When Jessica walked in, I had the table set, the salad tossed, and the chicken cooking. I just had to slice the potatoes and add the salad dressing. In the meantime, I told her she could give Ella a bath and spend some time with her. She fed her and got her ready for bed, and then they both opened their cards.

After Ella was in bed, it was time to serve up the food. We enjoyed a special candlelight dinner (I didn't know that we had to turn off the lights - I thought we could just light the candles and leave the light on so we could see our food), and then we watched our favorite together movie, Love Actually. We have our own favorite movies, but this is one that we share - it's the first one we watched together in the theater.

Shortly after 9:00, we cut into the cake and found that it was almost completely thawed. I was disappointed to find out that it was white, and she was excited that it wasn't chocolate. We shared the first piece, covered the rest, and went to bed.

What a day . . . .



0 Comments:

Post a Comment